When Is Circumcision Done?
(Update: ) - Skin and soft tissue diseases
Circumcisionis known as circumcision because the Prophet wanted it to be done in the religion of Islam, which is widely practiced in various societies. is a surgical procedure.
It is applied as a cut in a certain shape and size of the skin covering the glans of the penis in boys. Although the benefits of circumcision are still controversial, the ones that have been definitely determined:
- Urinary tract inflammation is less common in circumcised boys.
- Penile cancer is observed only in men who are not circumcised.
- Infectious diseases are more common in men who are not circumcised.
- It reduces the risk of uterine cancer in women.
In our country, circumcision is a religious and social demand and is widely applied in all boys. Having a circumcision ceremony for the family is considered a pleasurable and proud event and a spiritual happiness. For the child, circumcision is an important event in terms of gaining status among his friends.
When Should Circumcision Be Done? What is the circumcision age?
Circumcision is usually done before puberty. Recently, it has been accepted as the most ideal age because of the ease of the surgical procedure in newborn (first 2 weeks) babies, the rapid wound healing in the baby, ease of post-circumcision care and no psychological trauma. However, according to my observations, circumcision after the first month is a more correct option due to anatomical reasons and unless there is a very important problem.
Although circumcision can be performed at any age, circumcision should not be performed in children between the ages of 2 and 4, unless it is necessary due to the development of identity, being self-centered and incompatible.
What Should Be Considered After Circumcision → Click
Principles in circumcision
Every child should be informed about the action to be taken and should have the right to accept or not. What is important in circumcision is that the surgical procedure to be performed on the child is performed without causing psychological trauma, in accordance with hygienic conditions and without any problems. Today, there is no acceptable justification for circumcision performed in unsuitable places and conditions by people who have no anatomical, physiological and psychological knowledge. Although circumcision seems simple, it is an important surgical procedure. For this reason, it is necessary to provide a microbe-free environment such as sterilization, asepsis, and antisepsis in the places and instruments where circumcision is performed.
What is Prophet Circumcision?
Commonly known as "Prophet circumcision" or "Half circumcision" in medical language "HypospadiasIt is called ”. Surgical intervention must be performed for children born with this problem (especially up to the age of 1) and before the surgical procedure Certainly circumcision should not be done. Children with hypospadias may face infertility problems in the future, so early diagnosis and correct treatment should be applied. Hypospadias is a congenital anomaly (disease) and its most important symptoms are as follows:
- The urinary tract is in the lower part of the penis and further back.
- Curved head of the penis.
- The foreskin is not formed on the lower face of the glans.
- Downward curvature of the penis during erection.
- Children with hypospadias have to sit while urinating, as they cannot urinate forward.
What can happen after circumcision?
We can summarize the problems that may occur during circumcisions performed by non-experts as follows:
- BLEEDING: It is observed during circumcisions performed with inappropriate techniques or following trauma after circumcision in children with normal or blood diseases. While a second surgical procedure is sufficient for normal children, sometimes it may be too late for children with blood disease.
- SHAPE DISORDER: It is observed in circumcisions performed by improper technique or people who are not experts in the work. If the deformity is within acceptable limits or at levels that will not disturb the family and the child, it is expected until adolescence. If the deformity has not decreased or disappeared after adolescence, re-circumcision is required.
- PERMANENT DISABILITY: It is observed if there is excessive tissue loss or excessive burns with cautery. Although it can be partially corrected with various plastic surgery, loss of function does not improve.
- BAD CAUSE TISSUE: It is observed in children whose wound ends are left to heal and not be sutured.
- INFECTION, INFECTIOUS YELLOW: Especially in mass circumcisions, asepsis is observed after circumcisions performed by people who do not know the rules of antisepsis.
- FULL PENIS LOSS
As can be seen above, this list can go on. Circumcision is an operation and should be done like surgery. It should never be taken lightly, because it is terrifying and can pose problems for your child's life. Circumcision cannot be performed at home, on the street or in a wedding hall. First, the child should be psychologically prepared before the surgical intervention.
After communicating with the child, the foreskin should be carefully removed, the veins tied, and the wound should be closed with self-absorbing stitches.
In this way, wound healing is smooth and faster. Our society has gradually grasped the seriousness of circumcision, especially with the increase in media and communication tools in recent years. However, it is not an acceptable justification for some families to have the circumcision wedding in the most beautiful place, but the surgical procedure, which should be essential, under unsuitable conditions by unqualified persons.
Op.Dr.Ertan BEYATLI /General surgery specialist