What is the Fecal Occult Blood (GGK) Test?
(Update: ) - Digestive System Diseases
Occult Blood in Stool (GGK) means invisible blood in the stool. English, Fecal occult blood (FOB). It can detect a small amount of blood in the stool (GGK test).
This test only detects whether there is blood in the stool, it does not detect bowel cancer on its own.
When is it done?
Occult blood test in stool should be performed annually for screening purposes in people over the age of fifty and those with anemia (anemia).
It has been observed that testing of FOC once a year reduces deaths from colon cancer by 30%, respectively. The issue of termination of screening tests is controversial. According to research, tests are now unnecessary and can be terminated in the following situations:
- Persons over the age of 80
- Additional diseases that reduce life expectancy (terminal cancer patients, vegetative patients, etc.)
In the past, a diet had to be applied a few days before the tests (Guaiac, Benzidine etc.). For example, eating red meat was not recommended.
Today, more specific and sensitive tests are used that are sensitive to human blood (HHb). These tests do not require diet. New tests are wrong (false positivity) probability is very low. With these methods, up to 0.5 - 1 ml of blood can be noticed in the stool. Losing more than 2 ml of blood per day in the stool is considered a pathological condition.
HHb Monoclonal Antibody
It detects human blood cells. HHB stands for Human Hemoglobin (H5A3). This feature is available in new tests.
Test How To?
It is appropriate to examine the FOC test with three samples taken from the stool performed 3 times in a row. If old method tests are used, meat is not eaten 2-3 days ago. Stool is collected in a clean container.
- Menstrual period women and bleeding hemorrhoids testing is not done on those.
- GGK test is done 3 times a year
- It is not taken with RT (Rectal Touch = finger)!
- Diet may be required.
Home GGK Test
- For now, the GGK rapid test kit is only given in some hospitals under physician control.
- Take a small amount of stool sample with gloves and place it in a bowl. The stool sample should be taken the moment it leaves the body without touching anything else.
- Apply what is written on the kit.
- The result will be evident in 5-10 minutes.
- GGK test Single line (a line): Negative, i.e. clean
- GGK test Double line (two lines): Positive, i.e. there is occult blood in the stool
- GGK test no line: invalid, the test must be repeated.
What does it mean if the stool test is positive?
(Meaning of Positive Test)
It indicates that there is occult blood in the stool. The test is positive in 7% of the population. The test may be Positive in the following situations:
- Colon cancer
- Gastrointestinal bleeding (Gis haemorrhage)
- Colon Inflammation (Colitis)
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis)
- After swallowed blood (such as nose and gum bleeding)
- Some medications (iron-containing preparations)
Bowel cancer can start without any early warning symptoms. Cancer can grow inside the bowel wall for years before it spreads to other parts of the body. Most of the time, a small amount of blood leaks from these growths and can be detected with the GGK test.
Drop by drop becomes a lake
Regardless of the reason, it can cause a decrease and depletion of blood stores in the body in people with occult bleeding in the stool. Therefore, even if they look healthy, these people may experience the following symptoms:
- Exercises such as climbing stairs and climbing hills do not get out of breath
- Anemia or iron deficiency